Mrs. Seeber~editor in chief

Mrs. Seeber~ EDITOR in Chief...a blog for my cleaver husband to rant about our favorite pasttime~ movie watching

Friday, October 12, 2012

The Uninvited~ 1944 Ray Maland

 unlike the previous movie, which was a trick, this one was a treat...

    I have never seen this one before, and that's saying something. Even as a 9yr old I remember being abused by the family, because I kept saying I'd seen that one. 


The movie is a romp through the ghost filled world of Cornwall, where the rugged sea scape is part of the story line. As much fun as it is to heap abusive jibes onto, shall we say, the weaker films of this genre occasionally a film of quality will need my attention. Ray Maland has an outstanding cast that do justice to the roles. The doctor in this one appears in the 1950's version of Journey to the Center of the Earth. The housekeeper is pure old Irish. Neither of the lead women had good hair in this either. The story is fun, a splash of comedy here and there,which was unexpected, rounds out your stay in this haunted house. I would pay to stay in that house for a weekend, whereas the locals found it a forbidding abode. Only the cat and dog of the newcomers are wise to the invisible inhabitants of the manor.  The plot flows well, including all the expected characters from the overprotective grandfather, to the crazed woman running the insane asylum. The only weakness is forgiven, that being again the effects capable in 1944. The exception being when the woman stands at the edge of the cliff overhanging the wild ocean, and ... that's for you to experience. 



I am now instituting a new rating system, I give this 3 1/2 cobwebs out of 4. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments welcome!